Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Corners of My New Classroom

Well I have been so busy these last few weeks setting up my new classroom. I am at a new school this year and a new classroom, which just happens to be a portable trailer. We have space limitations at my new school and for now, our first grade team are in the trailers. There seem to be pluses and minuses to teaching in a portable, especially when space is concerned. There are definite limitations when setting up a classroom in a space that is smaller than a normal classroom, and organization is a must! I would consider myself a fairly organized person, but without the office space of my last classroom, everything had to have a home, and be returned to that home. I have posted some pictures below of the end result.

 This first shot is what you see when entering
the classroom.  I like having my students in
table groups, however with the limited space
all I could manage is three groups of six. In the far back corner is my U shaped table and two bookcases filled with organizational supplies. In the far back left corner are my student computers and my Rock, Roll and Read AR goal chart.







This picture is from the same vantage point. One of the nice features of being in a portable is all of the furniture is also portable and so its easier to create the different kinds of teaching spaces. On either side of my Activboard I have my word wall and at the top is my ABC letter cards. I have posted some close ups later on in the blog.








This view is the opposite side of the room.  To the right I have my behavior and job clip charts hanging. On the white board I have posted my workstation rotation chart, and the headings for my essential questions and standards. Above the board are number cards with ten frames.









This is a close up of one side of the word wall and my ABC strip.
 This is the other half of my word wall. Since I am working in a smaller space I felt that the best option was to split up my word wall into two sections. By doing this I was able to maximize my use of any available wall space without making my classroom appear too crowded.















This is a closer view of my behavior system and job chart. If you haven't already noticed I have a jungle theme in my classroom.


This is right next to the door as you enter the room. I have student cubbies each numbered and I have book bins for each student on top of the cubbies, which is something I have taken from the Daily 5.














This is my classroom library, listening station, calendar space. It is probably my favorite part of my classroom because I do a lot of teaching in this area. So much can be accomplished during a morning meeting or short mini-lesson. I am also super excited about my easel (IKEA) it is the perfect size for this space and to hold all of my chart paper and anchor charts! Not to mention my rug, which came out of storage.  Thanks for checking out my classroom. Most of my charts, posters, goal charts, calendar set, ABC cards, number cards, ect.. is available for purchase in our TPT store there are also some awesome freebies so be sure to take a peek!




No comments:

Post a Comment