Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Word Problem of the Day - Increasing Problem Solving Skills



With the change to Common Core Math in our state, I needed a daily math program that would encourage my students to think about math in a different way. Similarly with my Math Strategies Handouts, students need to focus on how and why they work the problem instead of, " I don't know, I just added the numbers together." On state testing they will be asked to explain their work, so in preparation for that I made a daily sheet that would require the students to think about the 'hows and whys' in answering the problem they way they did. The repetitive nature of the sheet click here to see the productwill be familiar and this process hopefully will help them think outside the box.

This addition/subtraction packet is Part 1. I begin the year by reviewing Number Sense and Algebraic Operations with addition and subtraction. Part 2 will be multiplication/division and Part 3 will be Fractions, with Measurement and Geometry after the first of the year.

There are 50 addition/subtraction problems in the packet. They begin fairly straight forward and basic and increase with difficulty into multi-step problems.

The multiplication/division packet should be available by the end of September. We'll keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment