Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Addition Strategies Freebie

This is the addition page (freebie) from my Math Strategies packet. I have found that if I hand these strategies out to my parents at Back to School Night, it decreases the amount of questions I get throughout the year. Most  parents learned the traditional approach to Math, the algorithm. However with Common Core our emphasis is the process in which the answer is obtained and an understanding of how the student got the answer. It is a deeper way of thinking than just re-grouping. I teach a variety of different strategies  in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The students can look at any particular problem and because they know the different strategies they can successfully answer the problem. By handing these to the parents, beforehand they will know how to help their children at home, rather than diverting to what they are familiar with.

If you are interested in this Freebie  go to our TPT store and download it for free. The complete Math Strategies packet is available there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment