Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fire Safety Unit

As many of you are aware next week is Fire Safety week. My students have always loved learning about fire safety and it always helps that our local fire department comes to do a wonderful presentation. If you read my last posting then you know it was all about mentor sentences for the primary aged classroom. I decided this year to add a mentor sentence into my unit about Fire Safety. I love Gail Gibbons and her non-fiction text: Fire Fire. Nevertheless, my favorite mentor text for fire safety week is: Miss Mingo and the Fire Drill. I love how this text uses a fire drill as a means of teaching fire safety, especially since this is something my students can connect to. Plus, this story has cool details about animals and their different ways of expressing fear and protecting themselves...my students always get a kick out of this. So here is what my fire safety unit includes: four word of the day worksheets (two levels for each word) and posters. I love using the word of the day to expand on vocabulary.



The words are: stop, drop, roll and fire. There is also a stop, drop and roll writing activity and a smoke detector homework activity.

I have also included three different versions of the family meeting spot writing activity so you can pick the level that is most appropriate for your kiddos! There are vocabulary cards, a cute hat craft, a song, and the mentor sentence unit. 



Click Here to purchase your copy of this updated fire safety unit. You can also try out my mentor sentences by downloading my Officer Buckle and Gloria mentor sentence freebie by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment